As a child, I was not very fond of Keema Matar.But as I grew up, i started loving it.
My granny does miracles with all meat dishes! I am in awww of her cooking and also amounts of butter(ghee) she drips into each dish. I have no guilt whatsoever to accept the contribution of desi ghee into all these mind blowing punjabi dishes.
When asked for recipes, her reply is "There is no recipe, it is very simple - Just put all the stuff together". After coming to US, i started experimenting these dishes to pamper my childhood developed taste buds.
The Keema Matar!
1 Ground Chicken/Mutton ( Minced Meat/ Keema) - 800 gms/2 Lbs
1 Big Onion (Finely Chopped or Puree)
2 Medium Tomatoes (Puree)
2-3 Green Chillies(Slit)
2-3 Garlic Cloves(Finely Chopped)
2-3 Tea Spoons Ginger-Garlic Paste
3 Cardamom pods
2 Cinnamon sticks
6 Black peppercorns
1 Bay Leaf
1/2 Tea Spoon Jeera
1/2 tbsp Tumeric Powder
1 tbsp Coriander Powder
1 tbsp Kasoori Methi (Dried Fenugreek Leaves - Optional)
Freshly Chopped Coriander
1/2 Cup Frozen Peas
Cooking Oil/Butter/Desi Ghee
Optional: 2 Boiled Eggs ( Cut into Halves)
1. Mix keema with 2 teaspoon oil, 1 tbsp salt, half tbsp haldi, cut garlic cloves, cut green chilli. Sprinkle 2tbsp water. Pressure cook for 2 whistles or cook in a covered pan on a medium flame till meat is cooked.
2. Heat oil in a pan, add zeera, whole spices(cloves, cinnamon, cardamom,pepper corns) and add onion puree. Cook puree till almost dry n brown in color. Also add ginger garlic paste.
3. Add fresh tomato puree. Cook till it is well cooked(dark brown) and leaves oil. Cooked paste should be reddish brown in color and thick in consistency.
Notes: If adding the ready made tomato puree, cook for 6-8 minutes.
4. Add Meat Masala (1/2 tbsp), Coriander powder (1/2 tbsp), salt to taste.
5. Add this cooked paste to keema(meat),1 egg with yolk and peas.
6. Either pressure cook for 1 whistle or cook in open pan for 10 mins.
7. Add 3 tbsp butter, 1 tbsp kasoori methi and lemon( 4-5 drops) and coriander leaves.
Garnishing with Coriander Leaves and (Optional) Two boiled eggs(Chopped in to halves) can be added with a half cup water to get Keema Egg Curry.
Serve with pipping hot with Naan, Roti, Lachcha Parathas or Pao (To serve Keema-Pao) and Onion Salad on the side.
(Served with all meat dishes in North India)
1 Sliced Onion
2 Slit Green Chillies
1/2 Lemon Juice
Fresh cut Coriander Leaves
Mix all the contents well. Sprinkle Salt and Red Chili Powder and serve.