To mark the beginning of Navaratri and Festive season, i wanted to make something sweet.
So, made these Sevian with a Date flare.
Dates played in well - As it gave a grainy thick texture, natural sweetness and carmel color to our usual Sevian.
Khajur Ki Sevian (Sweet Vermicelli Cooked in Dates & Milk)
Cooking Time: 40 Mins
Preparation Time: 10 mins
1 Ltr Milk (Whole or 2%)
1 Cup Vermicelli
10 Oz/300gms of Sweet Condensed Milk
Cardamon/Elaichi Powder (Freshly Ground from 8-10 Cardamon)
Saffron/Kesar 10-15 Strands
Sugar to Taste
Dates (I like to use fresh California Mejdool Dates)
1 Cup Chopped Dates (Softened in Warm Milk)
1 Cup Date Puree (Dip 8-9 dates in hot milk for 2-3 hours. Puree the softened Dates in a mixture)
1) Heat Milk in a Non Stick Pot (Heavy Bottomed) on Medium Heat.
2) Add Sweet Condensed Milk, Cardamon Powder and Vermicelli. to the pot. Stir the milk, so everything is mixed well. Cook for 10 mins.
3) Add Date Puree to the pot. Cook on a medium flame for 10-15 mins.
4) Keep stirring, so that vermicelli or milk does not stick to the bottom of pan. Also, make sure milk does not boil and over flows.
5) When Vermicelli is cooked, add chopped dates and cook for 5 mins on low flame.
6) Check Sweetness, Add sugar or sweet condensed milk if need be.
7) Dissolve Saffron strands into 2-3 spoons of warm milk, let it sit for 5 mins. Then, pour over the Sevian.
8) You can serve it hot or Chilled (Let it come to room temperature, before chilling).
Garnish with Chopped Almonds and Fresh Dates.