Make your own Chinese food basket at home!
This weekend, I invited some friends over dinner to watch the Closing Ceremony of Beijing Olympics and to celebrate India's first Olympics Gold medal. I thought what could call for a great meal, other than the Chinese Baskets? I accompanied Chinese food with not so Chinese - drinks and desert.
Menu: Garlic Chicken with peppers
Fried Egg Rice
Garlic Tofu with Peppers
Ready Made Fortune Cookies
Chopsticks - For the feel :)
Drink: Fish Bowl - Cranberry Juice, Orange-Pineapple Juice, Vodka, Ice and Sprite.
Desert:Vanilla Custard with Strawberry's. (Nothing Chinese about it, soothes the palate after a spicy meal.)
As we Indians sit in US and enjoy a Chinese meal....
Our 3 Cheers to
- Abhinav Bindra - For getting INDIA - the first ever Gold Medal in 108 years!
- CHINA for getting 51 Gold Medals- Highest Number of Gold Medals in Olympics'08.
- AMERICA for getting 110 medals in total - Highest Number of Medals Olympics'08.
For now enjoy!
Garlic Chicken with Peppers - Crispy fried chicken, with tri color peppers and hot sauce with a dash of Garlic!
Preparation Time: 20 mins
Cooking Time: 50 mins
Stir Fry Sauce:
1 Big Onion - Chopped
3 Bell Peppers - Green, Yellow, Red - Chopped Thick Slices
5-6 Green Onion - Chopped
2 Tbsp Garlic Paste (or 4 Crushed Garlic Cloves)
1.5 Cup Oriental Stir Fry Sauce / Schezwan sauce
4 tbsp Tomato Sauce
1 Tbsp Sugar
2 Lbs Boneless Chicken - Cut into inch long pieces
3-4 Garlic Cloves Finely Chopped
Tomato Chili Sauce - 4 Tbsp
Red Chili Powder - 2 Tbsp
Corn Starch - 2 Tbsp
Black Pepper Powder
Prepare Chicken Marinade: Mix all the ingredients of Chicken marinade. Keep aside at least for 1 hour.
1. In a Frying pan, heat 2 cups of oil. Fry chicken pieces until they are cooked and crispy golden brown. Take out chicken pieces on a Kitchen Towel/Soaking paper to get rid of excess oil.
2. Heat a wok, add 2 tbsp oil. Add onions and peppers. Cook them for 6-8 mins. So, they are still crunchy and little cooked. Add the sauce, salt and black pepper.
3. Add fried chicken pieces to the stir fry sauce. Mix Chicken well, so that it gets sauce all around evenly. You can increase the amount of sauce as per to your taste.
Garnish with Chopped Green Onions.
Serve with Egg Fried Rice/Steamed Rice/Veggie Chow mien.